Book: Stealing Cars
Technology and Society from the Model T to the Gran Torino
- INTRODUCTION Park at Your Own Risk
- CHAPTER 1 "Stop, Thief!"
- CHAPTER 2 Juvenile Delinquents, Hardened Criminals, and Ineffectual Technological Solutions (1941 - 1980)
- CHAPTER 3 From the Personal Garage to the Surveillance Society
- CHAPTER 4 Car Theft in the Electronic and Digital Age (1970s - Present)
- CHAPTER 5 Mexico, the United States, and International Auto Theft
- CHAPTER 6 The Recent Past
- CONCLUSION Stealing the American Dream
Heitmann and Morales are absolutely correct-the history of stealing cars is a theme almost absent from historical works, including works that deal specifically with the automobile in America. This book is an important addition to the literature, and I am impressed by how many sides of the subject the authors examine and by the range of historical materials they have researched and cited.
-Larry D. Lankton, Michigan Technological University